Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Diamonds on the Inside...

I don't know what it was, but I woke up this morning with a terrible sense of dread... we'd been up late studying, what felt like unsuccessfully to study dialog, I was tired, sore and just not feelin amazing. Class this morning was no bueno-- for a lot of reasons, it went like 10 minutes over, I wasn't really connecting with the teacher, and pretty much I was just in my head. Before lecture we went to see Katie in the doctor's office (again things are no bueno) and I was kinda spooked to see her. She was laying in bed under a blanket with an IV in her arm and a breathing tube under her nose... they think she might have some sort of stomach infection.. aka parasite i believe, and I know she'll be fine but i was still stuck in my head. Then walking out, I made the bad decision to weigh myself, and couldn't believe I weigh more than before i left... way more... and i know muscle weighs more than fat, blah, blah blah, and a lot of it is probably water weight, but when you're working your ass off you can't help but expect to see some results. So I was upset about that, and then I was thinking about this conversation I had with one of the staff guys yesterday. He gave me some compliment on how I haven't had to sit out any postures.. and I kinda brushed it off and said something about how, i'm not that special, I just have a lot of pride. ... to which he promptly responded with "Pride comes before every fall".... thanks Christian.. so that was going through my head and i was sitting in posture clinic way too close to a freak out.. when I hear another teacher give what is probably the best advice i have ever heard..... someone was stressign out because they missed a line and he without missing a beat, said "hey, relax, this is just yoga school." he said it in such an almost flippant way that it made me laugh. Really, this is not harvard, and lord knows it's not stanford (i wouldn't have gotten in--- that was a joke, mom... kinda) anyhow, it just made me immiediately loosen up, breathe, and realize this is not life or death. Once I did that it was like magic, my confidence came back and I realized I DO still know this stuff. Bonus! So now i'm headed to class and I'm feeling so much better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's very zen of you. just keep telling yourself, 'it's only yoga school'.